Are you trying to incorporate more vegetables into your diet? Wondering how you can eat vegetables for breakfast? How about enticing your kids to “eat the rainbow?”
What if I told you that l I have a breakfast recipe that includes two full servings of vegetables, is colorful like a rainbow and tastes pretty darn good too? That recipe is Five Veggie Eggs with Feta.
Last weekend, my daughter requested scrambled, cheesy eggs instead of her usual pancakes for breakfast. Since I was already making her and her dad scrambled eggs for breakfast, I decided to make some for myself too. However I wanted to incorporate some additional nutrition and color to my eggs with some chopped veggie. I opened the refrigerator door and dug around in the crisper to see what I had on hand, then pulled out a bag of spinach, mushrooms, green and red bell peppers. In the pantry I had one lone red onion so I piled all of the ingredients on the counter and started chopping.
The veggies looked so pretty all mixed together, even before I added them to the eggs. Each serving of Five Veggie Eggs contains one cup of vegetables, which is 40% of the recommended daily amount for women 19-50 years old. (One serving of vegetables is 1/2 cup, the recommended daily amount is 2 1/2 cups of vegetables a day). Sprinkling the eggs with 2 tablespoons of crumbled feta cheese added a ton of flavor and only 25 calories.
Do you have an 85 pound lab that stalks you when you have food too? Mine was just waiting for me to turn my attention away for one little second, so he could grab a bite of my eggs. Sadly I was not willing to share my breakfast with Harley.
If you are not a fan of feta cheese, simply top the Five Veggie Eggs with a sprinkle of shredded Colby jack or cheddar cheese. You can also serve these eggs many different ways:
- Cooked into a omelette and stuffed with low-fat swiss cheese
- Wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla topped with cheddar cheese and salsa
- Piled on a plate with a side of toast and fresh fruit preserves
- Eggs cooked pancake style, then folded between a sandwich round with a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped mushrooms
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 3 large eggs, whole
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbles
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat and coat with non-stick spray. Add veggie to the pan and cook until tender crisp and spinach wilts, for 3-4 minutes.
- Whisk together 3 whole eggs and 3 egg whites in a separate bowl. Pour eggs into pan and stir veggies into the eggs. Cook eggs for another 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently with nonstick spatula.
- Divide the veggie eggs on two plates and sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons of feta cheese, serve immediately.